A break from football over the summer? Don’t be silly – not only do we have the Women’s World Cup and the Under-21 European Championships to enjoy, we also have transfer news galore!
Celtic and Rangers have both been linked with moves to strengthen their squads, while Ross County have been rather busy and there is plenty going on south of the border!
- Ross County are closing in on a deal for former Falkirk midfielder Stewart Murdoch who has spent the last two seasons at Fleetwood Town.
The 25-year-old was a key figure as the Cod Army won promotion from League Two to League One and looks like another smart acquisition from Jim McIntyre who has already added Ian McShane, Brian Graham, Scott Fox, Michael Gardyne and Darren Holden this summer. (Press and Journal)
- Celtic are looking to strengthen their defence with the signing of St Pauli’s Marcel Halstenberg. Hannover are also believed to be interested in signing the 23-year-old left back. (Daily Express)
- It doesn’t look like Halstenberg is the only defender on the Celtic radar… The Hoops are one of a number of British clubs looking to sign Spanish defender Joan Oriol.
Wolves are known to be interested in the player while a number of other English clubs are believed to be monitoring his situation after he opted to leave Rapid Bucharest. (HITC)
- New Rangers boss Mark Warburton could return to his former club, Brentford, to complete his first Ibrox signing.
Warburton is keen to add Brentford’s Northern Irish midfielder Stuart Dallas, who is rated at £1.5 million. (The Sun)
- The Ibrox club have also been linked with a move for Brentford defender Alfie Mawson.
The 21-year-old is out of contract this summer after spending last season on loan at Wycombe and is thought to have rejected a new deal at the English Championship side. (The Sun)
- While the Brentford duo could move north to Ibrox, one player who looks to be heading in the opposite direction is midfielder Ian Black.
MK Dons and Preston North End are believed to be fighting for the signature of the former Caley Thistle and Hearts man. (MKWeb)
Latest completed SPFL deals
- Dumbarton have enjoyed a busy day, signing former Ross County goalkeeper Mark Brown and former Stranraer winger Willie Gibson.
- Scott Robertson has left Hibs after rejecting a new deal.
- Alan Gow has signed a new one year contract with St Mirren.
- Calum Butcher has joined Burton Albion after rejecting a new deal at Dundee United.
- Ross County have signed former Hartlepool defender Darren Holden.
- Queen of the South have signed former Motherwell striker Steven Higgins who netted six goals for Motherwell under-20s last month.
- Scotland international Jamie Mackie has returned to QPR after being released by Nottingham Forest.
And down south…
- Manchester City are locked in a four-way battle with Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG for the signature of Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba. (Daily Mirror)
- Liverpool’s cheeky bid to strengthen their team while also getting rid of Mario Balotelli has been rejected. Inter Milan have turned down an offer from the Anfield side for 21-year-old midfielder Mateo Kovacic which included striker Mario Balotelli, 24, as a makeweight. (Talksport)
- Chelsea are looking to replace outgoing goalkeeper Petr Cech with Stoke City number one Asmir Begovic (Telegraph)