Today in Scottish football seems to be a day for the youngsters – Celtic are looking to sign the most promising young footballer in world football, Rangers have taken a former Manchester United kid on trial and Scottish teenager Jack Harper will this week find out if he has a future at the biggest club in the world.
Elsewhere in Scottish football plenty of players are trying to impress clubs in trial spells and a few clubs have even managed to complete deals for players.
South of the border, there are plenty of rumours from each of the top clubs in the Premier League, while the transfer sagas involving Christian Benteke and David De Gea show no sign of concluding anytime soon.
- Celtic have made a new loan offer for Real Madrid youngster Martin Odegaard.
Hoops boss Ronny Deila gave Odegaard his debut at Stromsgodset before the 16-year-old moved onto Madrid and became the club’s youngest ever player.
Rafa Benitez wants to send the 16-year-old on loan next season but has yet to decide which club would best serve Odegaard’s development needs. (Scotsman)
- Celtic look likely to make a fourth bid for Dundee United striker Nadir Ciftci.
Ciftci has already rejected a move to Wigan Athletic after the Latics had a bid of around £1.5million accepted, however, it is reported Celtic would need to bid £2million to convince United to sell their star man to a Premiership rival. (Evening Times)
- However, one player that Celtic look set to miss out on is Belgian free agent Zakaria Bakkali. Celtic had bid for the winger in January, howeve, he is now on the verge of joining Spanish La Liga side Valencia. (AS)
- Rangers could sign former Manchester United youngster Jordan Thompson after the midfielder joined the Gers on trial.
The 17-year-old can also play left back and is expected to join the Gers development squad if he does enough during his trial to earn a deal. (Sun)
- Former Rangers youngster Rhys McCabe has joined St Johnstone on trial. The 22-year-old midfielder joined Sheffield Wednesday from the Ibrox club, however, was released at the end of last season. (Sun)
- Bob McHugh and Paul Heffernan are currently on trial at Falkirk and will take part in the club’s training camp in Ireland this week. Former Hibs captain Liam Craig has also been training with the team and could join McHugh and Heffernan in Ireland. (Scotsman)
- Scottish teenager Jack Harper will this week find out whether or not he has a future at Real Madrid.
The 19-year-old is now too old for the youth teams and will hear this week from coach Zinedine Zidane whether or not he will be asked to step up to Real’s second team, Castilla.
Harper’s latest tweet suggests he is fully prepared for bad news. (Sun)
Latest completed SPFL deals
- Former Ross County and Caley Thistle goalkeeper Antonio Reguero has signed for Championship side Hibs.
- Queen of the South have signed former Hearts youngster Callum Tapping after he impressed in a closed-door friendly win over Clyde.
- Brechin City have completed the signing of former Raith, Sunderland and Gretna man Dene Shields.
- Former Ross County midfielder Graham Carey has signed for Derek Adams’ Plymouth Argyle on a one-year deal.
- Stranraer have signed Killmarnock goalkeeper Conor Brennan on a six-month loan deal.
And down south…
- Arsenal have started discussions with Barcelona and Spain forward Pedro’s representatives over a potential move . (Independent)
- Arsene Wenger is also looking to bring Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal to the Emirates from Juventus. (Metro)
- Liverpool will pay the £32.5m release clause for Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke to complete the signing of the Belgium international. (Daily Express)
- Sunderland are looking to add Zenit St Petersburg defender Nicolas Lombaerts, 30, and West Ham winger Stewart Downing, 30, and have opened talks with both players’ clubs. (Sunderland Echo)
- Southampton are on the verge of completing the signing of Atletico Madrid defender Toby Alderweireld on a permanent deal after the Belgian spent last season on loan at St Mary’s. (Talksport)
- West Brom have had a £7million bid rejected for QPR’s Scottish winger Matt Phillips, 24. (Talksport)
- David De Gea, 24, returned for pre-season training with Manchester United today after weeks of rumours and reports linking him with a move to Real Madrid. (Cautro)
- With Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea’s future far from certain, United are considering bidding for Stoke’s 28-year-old goalkeeper Asmir Begovic. (Daily Mirror)
- Dutch international midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum looks set to join Newcastle from PSV Eindhoven. (Telegraph)