Celtic have been linked with a move for one of Chelsea’s international central defenders, however, perhaps surprisingly, that is coming on the same day as news that Virgil van Dijk may be staying at Parkhead after all.
Elsewhere Dundee United have taken Dutch midfielder Sneijder on trial, while Rangers face a battle to sign Haris Vuckic and are also looking to sign two more players from Wigan Athletic.
In England, Raheem Sterling is on the verge of completing his £49million, £200,000 per week move to Manchester City – good work if you can get it.
Here’s a quick round up of today’s transfer news…
- Celtic are looking to sign Chelsea defender Kenneth Omeruo in a season long loan deal.
The Nigerian international, 21, has been capped 28 times by his country and has spent previous loan spells at Ado Den Haag and Middlesbrough. (The Times)
- Sunderland have dropped their interest in Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk, with manager Dick Advocaat now looking to add Zenit St Petersburg defender Nicolas Lombaerts rather than Celtic’s £10million rated Dutchman. (Daily Record)
- Dundee United could sign Dutch midfielder Sneijder.
Before United fans get too excited it should be pointed out that the Sneijder in question is Rodney, brother of Dutch superstar Wesley. Sneijder will play as a trialist tonight when Jackie McNamara’s men face AZ Alkmaar. (Evening Telegraph)
- After signing defender Rob Kiernan from Wigan Athletic, Rangers could now return to Gary Caldwell’s club to sign right back James Tavernier, 23, and forward Martyn Waghorn, 25. (Daily Record)
- Rangers are also looking to sign midfielder Haris Vuckic who looks set to leave Newcastle this summer. The midfielder impressed on loan at Ibrox last season but the Gers face competition from Championship sides Burnley, Hull City, Bristol City and Bolton Wanderers in the battle for his signature. (HITC)
- Hearts are confident of completing the deal for Nigeria defender Juwon Oshaniwa this week, with manager Robbie Neilson explaining it has been a complex process to get the Ashdod player into Scotland due to visa issues. (Daily Express)
- Liam Craig and Rhys McCabe are expected to be offered contracts at St Johnstone after they both impressed on trial. However, former Rangers man Kyle Hutton, 24, has not done enough to earn a contract in Perth. (Daily Record)
- Former Inverness Caley Thistle striker Billy Mckay could be on his way back to the Scottish premiership, with Dundee United looking to tempt the 26-year-old back north from Wigan Athletic. (The Herald)
- Celtic have told Anthony Stokes that he is free to leave Parkhead this summer. Bolton Wanderers, Hull City and Wigan Athletic and MLS clubs have all shown an interest in signing the 26-year-old Irishman. (HITC)
Latest completed deals
- Paul Burns has quit Queen of the South – to take up a job outside of football.
Burns becomes the second Queens player to leave the club this summer for a non-football job after Stephen McKenna joined the Ministry of Defence.
- Former Rangers youngster Jamie Ness, 24, has joined English League One club Scunthorpe.
- Livingston have completed a double signing – adding Morgyn Neill from Motherwell and Moses Duckrell from Barnet on two year deals after both impressed during their trial spells.
And down south…
- Raheem Sterling has completed his medical ahead of his £49million move from Liverpool to Manchester City.
- Manchester City will look to sign Wolfsburg’s 24-year-old Belgium midfielder Kevin de Bruyne this week. (Daily Telegraph)
- Manchester United have identified PSG striker Edinson Cavani, 28, as the man they want to replace Fenerbahce-bound Robin van Persie, 31. (Talksport)
- However, the Telegraph suggests the man Manchester United really want is Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski, 26. (Daily Telegraph)
- Spanish striker Michu – a revelation in his first season in Wales – is set to return to Rayo Vallecano. (Daily Star)
- Tottenham are looking to sign Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi, 21, to play with Harry Kane. (Daily Mirror)
- Newcastle and Aston Villa will go head-to-head for the signature of Tottenham winger Andros Townsend, 23. (Daily Star)
- Arsenal’s 22-year-old French striker Yaya Sanogo could join Ajax on a season-long loan. (Daily Mail)
- Dynamo Kiev midfielder Jeremain Lens, 27, could join Sunderland and hook up with Dick Advocaat once more after previously playing for him at both AZ Alkmaar and PSV Eindhoven. (Guardian)