Rangers new loan signing Nathan Oduwa created plenty of headlines with his rather flash rainbow flick at the weekend and now the Gers are reportedly set to confirm the signing of another England youth international on loan, while they are also said to be considering a loan move for a young German/American.
At the other side of Glasgow, Celtic are planning for life without Virgil van Dijk and could replace him with a young Croatian defender or another young defender who is rather well known around Parkhead.
Here’s a quick look at today’s top transfer stories…
- Rangers are reportedly on the verge of signing Chelsea youngster John Swift on loan. The midfielder, 20, has been capped by England at under-20 level and is expected in Glasgow today. (Scottish Sun, print only)
- However, Rangers have also been linked with a move for talented Arsenal youngster Gedion Zelalem. The 18-year-old who has represented both Germany and America at youth levels, joined the Gunners in 2013 and it is believed Arsene Wenger is keen to see him gain some experience from a loan move this season. (Daily Record)
- Rangers boss Mark Warburton has confirmed Newcastle midfielder Haris Vuckic will not return to Ibrox. Warburton has said a deal for the 22-year-old is “not an option” for the club. (Scottish Sun, print only)
- Celtic are in talks with Dinamo Zagreb over the transfer of 21-year-old defender Jozo Šimunović .
Hoops chief executive Peter Lawell is currently in Croatia discussing terms with his opposite number at Dinamo, Zdravko Mamic, with Lawell looking to strike a deal for around £3.5m.
A number of other clubs are also considering moves for the defender, with Lyon and Bayern Munich amongst the clubs monitoring his progress. (Daily Record)
- Celtic’s success last season was built on the central defensive pairing of Virgil van Dijk and Jason Denayer – with half van Dijk looking likely to be leaving Parkhead, the Hoops are now looking to bring Denayer back to Glasgow.
The Manchester City central defender was hoping to break into City’s first team this season, however, Vincent Kompany, Eliaquim Mangala and Martin Demichelis stand in his way, while City are now on the verge of adding a fourth central defender, with Valencia’s Nicolas Otamendi expected to join by the end of the week. (Various)
- While Celtic are looking to add central defenders, they could be about to lose a centre forward.
Stefan Scepovic has struggled to make his mark in Scotland since arriving from Sporting Gijon and could now leave Parkhead for Segunda team Real Valladolid. (Inside Futbol)
- St Mirren are closing in on a deal to sign former Hearts captain Andy Webster.
Manager Ian Murray has been keen to bolster his defence and invited the 33-year-old to train with his squad after he was told he was free to leave Coventry. (The Herald)
- Hibs may have lost their star man in the shape of Scott Allan (yes, we still had to find a way to mention him in the transfer round-up) however, the Edinburgh club could add striker Jamie Insall to their squad.
The striker has been training with Hibs and has done enough to convince Alan Stubbs he could make the step up from English non-league football.
- Former St Johnstone youngster Dylan Easton has joined Hibs on trial. The 21-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Dumbarton. (Evening News)
Latest completed deals
- St Johnstone defender Gareth Rodger has joined Ballymena United on loan.
- Swansea City have signed striker Botti Biabi, 19, from Falkirk for an undisclosed fee, believed to be worth six-figures.
- Striker Lee Miller has returned to Falkirk, signing a short term deal.
- Former Dundee, Morton and Raith Rovers defender Willie Dyer has signed for English non-league side Whitehawk.
And down south…
- Florian Thauvin is set to join Newcastle from Marseille, with Remi Cabella moving in the opposite direction (Newcastle Chronicle)
- Manchester City have concluded the deal to sign Nicolas Otamendi for €45m. (beIN Sports)
- Chelsea have made a new £30m bid for Everton’s John Stones, 21, but the Toffees may hold out for £40m for the 21-year-old defender. (Telegraph)
- Everton are already looking for defenders to replace Stones and will try to sign either Swansea centre-half Ashley Williams, 30, or Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly, 24. (Daily Star)
- Southampton are also interested in Koulibaly, 24, who is rated at £8.5m. (Daily Star)
- Manchester United’s chief executive Ed Woodward is in Spain trying to thrash out a deal for Barcelona forward Pedro, 28. (Daily Mail)
- Newcastle have given up hope of signing Charlie Austin as they are not willing to pay the £15m fee QPR are holding out for. (Newcastle Chronicle)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 33, has been told he can leave Paris St-Germain in a cut-price deal and he could head to the Premier League to join Arsenal or Manchester United. (Daily Mail)
- Brentford have accepted a £9m bid from Bristol City for striker Andre Gray, 24. (BBC)