There has been plenty of frustration in the world of Scottish transfers today, with Rangers, Dundee United and Dundee all meeting stumbling blocks as they try to improve their squads.
Rangers have had two bids rejected for one of their top January targets, United have had a bid accepted but now need to convince a player to join them in favour of a move south, meanwhile Dundee have Spanish contracts to untangle if they are to sign their impressive trialist.
Here’s a quick look at today’s top transfer tales…
- Aberdeen are looking to sign Wigan midfielder Don Cowie.
The 32-year-old, who has 10 Scotland caps, could strengthen the Dons midfielder which has been hit by injuries to Ryan Jack and Willo Flood. (Press and Journal)
- Ronny Deila has refused comment on speculation linking him with a loan move for Manchester City youngster Bersant Celina.
Deila was asked about the Kosovan midfielder today but gave no clues as to whether or not he was looking to sign the player he previously managed at Stromsgodset. (Sun)
- Dundee United have had a bid accepted by Celtic to take Anthony Stokes on loan but the forward is believed to prefer a move to Hibs or south of the border. (BBC)
- Ross County striker Liam Boyce has reportedly been identified as a signing target by English League One side Bradford City. (Belfast Telegraph)
- St Johnstone have rejected two Rangers bids for forward Michael O’Halloran.
Saints boss Tommy Wright has insisted the former Bolton youngster is not for sale, particularly not for the price put on the table by Rangers – believed to be around £200,000. (BBC)
- Dundee are hoping to complete the signing of striker Arturo Juan Pérez-Reverte from Spanish side Cordoba.
The Spaniard has been out of favour at Cordoba but has impressed on trial at Dens, however, a move to Scotland could be scuppered by Cordoba who are delaying releasing the player from his contract. (Evening Telegraph)
- Lech Poznan’s Scottish full back Barry Douglas has emerged as a surprise signing target for Turkish outfit Konyaspor. The former Queen’s Park and Dundee United player moved to Poland in 2013 but could now move on to Turkey. (Eurosport)
- Dundee United face stiff competition in their bid to sign Airdrie goalkeeper Rohan Ferguson, 18. United have had two bids rejected for the stopper but English Premier League clubs Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle, Norwich, Leeds and Stoke are also tracking the youngster, as well as Scottish side Hamilton Accies, Hibs and St Mirren. (The Sun)
- Former Airdrie United and Celtic attacker Tony Watt, 22, looks set to move to Cardiff City on a permanent deal after impressing during his loan spell from Charlton Athletic. (South London Press)
- Steven Naismith looks set to leave Everton this month but his move expected move to Norwich may not be as straight forward as expected, with Swansea boss Alan Curtis admitting the Welsh club are now also in the running to sign the Scotland international. (South Wales Evening Post)
Latest done deals
- Islam Feruz has cut short his loan spell at Hibs and returned to English Premier League giants Chelsea.
- Hibs have confirmed that loanee Henri Anier has returned to Dundee United, halfway through his season-long loan.
- Dumbarton have signed Rangers winger Tom Walsh, 19, on loan until the end of the season.
Happy to have signed on loan to Dumbarton til the end of the season, looking forward to getting some much needed game time! ?⚽️
— Tom Walsh (@tomwalsh_48) January 14, 2016
- Queen’s Park have signed Celtic youngster Tony Ralston for the remainder of the season after the 17-year-old impressed at the League Two club during the early months of the campaign.
- Cowdenbeath have signed former Hibs and Ayr forward Ross Caldwell.
- Goalkeeper Mark Ridgers has left St Mirren by mutual consent.
- Scotland midfielder Barry Bannan has signed a new three and a half year deal with Championship side Sheffield Wednesday. His previous one year deal was due to expire at the end of the season and Premier League side Norwich were said to be chasing his signature.
Finally signed for another 3 and half years at Sheffield Wednesday. So happy to stay here loved it since day one now let's get promoted ⚽️
— barry bannan (@bazzabannan25) January 14, 2016