Highland League round-up: Broch hit seven, while Forres dent Brora’s title hopes

Fraserburgh hit seven goals without reply against nine-man Huntly at Bellslea with Broch captain
Ryan Christie bagging a hat-trick.

Christie opened the scoring in the 27th minute with a great strike which Craig Reid could only help into the net.

The momentum of the game changed when Huntly’s Alexander Thoirs saw red for a challenge on Ryan Cowie.

Huntly went down to nine men when Blair Johnston picked up a second boookable offence.

From the resulting free kick, Ryan Cowie struck the bar and the ball fell to Paul Campbell to tap in from close

Campbell added his second five minutes later with a header.

Substitute Gary Harris made it four in the 65th minute, running away from Cory Ritchie before powering into the near post.

Michael Clark was adjudged to have handled in the box in the 71st by referee Alex Shepherd and Ryan Christie converted from the spot for his hat-trick and the Broch completed the rout with thirteen minutes remaining when Paul Young powered a shot in off the bar.

Forres Mechanics collected their eighth straight win after coming from behind to defeat Brora Rangers 3-2.

Lee Fraser opened the scoring for Forres, heading an attempted pass-back by Gavin Morrison past Joe Malin in four minutes.

But Steven Mackay netted his 13th goal of the season to restore parity before Paul Brindle put the Cattachs ahead six minutes from the interval.

A Forres equaliser in 49 minutes came from a well worked free kick move with Lee Fraser again applying the finishing touch.

Fraser completed his hat-trick with five minutes to go to take his tally for the season to 15 goals.

Both sides ended the match with 10 men with Graeme Grant of Forres and Brora’s Ally Macdonald both seeing red.

Formartine United defeated Turriff 3-0 at North Lodge thanks to a Cammy Bowden own goal and strikes from Andrew Greig and Graeme Rodger.

Wick Academy were held to a 1-1 draw by Nairn County.

Sam Mackay fired the Caithness side ahead in the fourth minute before Dylan Mackenzie nodded in a Jordan MacRae to equalise.

The game ended in a 1-1 draw but Academy’s new signing from Brora Rangers, former Elgin City striker Craig Gunn, made an encouraging debut for his home town team.

A 17th minute penalty kick from Neil Gauld gave Inverurie Locos the lead against second bottom Strathspey Thistle at Harlaw Park and in the 28th minute new signing Chris Angus made it 2-0 with his first Locos goal.

A rare headed goal from Gauld made it 3-0, shortly after Angus added another before Gauld completed his hat-trick late-on in a 5-0 victory.

Lossiemouth recorded a 4-3 victory at Fort William in the most action-packed game of the day.

Scott Dunn put Lossie in front but Fort levelled within 60 seconds through defender Darren Quigg.

Iain Maclellan fired the home side ahead in the 22nd minute and Michael Gillespie made it 3-1 before Harry Noble pulled one back five minutes before the break.

Fort were denied their first win of the season when Lossie scored twice late-on.

Dunn netted his second of the afternoon before a Fort William own goal gave Lossie a hard-earned 4-3 victory.

Elsewhere, Buckie Thistle won 4-0 at Rothes.

A Shaun Carrol double and goals from Jay Cheyne and Ross Anderson gave the Jags a comfortable win.

Meanwhile, Daniel MacLennan netted a hat-trick as Clach defeated Keith 3-0 at Kynoch Park.