A couple have relived the “scary and surreal” ordeal of being evacuated from their home for hours amid a bomb scare at a north-east port.
Explosives specialists swooped on Fraserburgh on Sunday night and sealed off several streets as they investigated a device in the area.
Police were yesterday able to confirm that the item, understood to have been part of a fire extinguisher, did not pose a threat.
But a number of households on Linds Brae were evacuated as a precaution while its nature remained unclear.
Fiona Mcleman and her partner Stephen Roy were among those caught up in the drama.
Miss Mcleman said: “I was at my mum’s house and Stephen phoned me to tell me what was going on, it was just so scary and surreal especially with the bomb disposal squad coming up.”
Mr Roy added: “Around about 8pm, the police told us we needed to leave and it was 12.40am when we got the all clear to return home.
“We weren’t aware of anything going on outside until they came to us.
“It seems like it was the top of fire extinguisher that had been cut off and left on the street.”
Miss Mcleman said officers had yet to inform her about the true nature of the object that sparked the alarm.
She added: “We’ve lived here around four years and it’s always felt safe.
“Police cordoned the area off and were still in the area the following morning. We haven’t really heard anything since.”
Shore Street, North Street, Frithside Street and Kirkbrae were closed in the aftermath of the discovery on Sunday night.
A police spokeswoman yesterday said: “Three nearby properties were evacuated as a precaution.
“The EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) team attended and the item was examined and found to be non-viable.”
The unit from the British Army’s Royal Logistic Corps’ bomb squad travelled from Edinburgh to lead the investigations.
Fraserburgh and District councillor, Brian Topping, said: “It seems like it was nothing to worry about, which local residents will of course be glad to hear.
“I’d always encourage people to report it if they see anything suspicious.”
Councillor Charles Buchan added: “It’s terrible the distress this would have caused to members of the public.”
Inquiries into the incident remain ongoing.