Former MP Eric Joyce attacked two teenagers in an “unjustified and unprovoked” assault in a shop, a court has heard.
The 54-year-old allegedly assaulted the boys, aged 14 and 15, at News and Food Express in Camden, north London, on the evening of October 17 last year.
Opening his trial at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London, prosecutor Jon Swain said Joyce was standing near a drinks fridge when he came into contact with one of the boys, who tried to pass him in a narrow aisle.
After an “exchange of words”, the former Falkirk MP grabbed the teenager and he was knocked to the floor, Mr Swain told the court.
“Mr Joyce continued to hold on and wrestle (the boy),” he said.
“Mr Joyce was asking the shopkeeper to call the police and continuing to hold on to (the boy).
“At one point he held him by the neck.”
Mr Swain said the second boy tried to help his friend but was elbowed by Joyce and winded.
After the alleged attacks, the boys ran out of the shop and police attended when Joyce told officers one of the boys had been aggressive and headbutted him, the prosecutor added.
The incident, at around 9.40pm, was captured on CCTV, the court heard.
“It’s the Crown’s case that the actions taken by Mr Joyce constituted an unjustified and unprovoked assault on both boys,” Mr Swain said.
“Nothing either did warranted the level of violence demonstrated.”
Joyce, who is not standing as MP for Falkirk in the General Election, denies two counts of common assault.