This week we bring you the taste of Turkey in your own kitchen with a grill mix recipe including harissa chicken shish and Adana lamb kebabs.
Let’s face it everyone has a weakness for a kebab now and again – it’s a simple thing to pick up from your Turkish takeaway and enjoy at home, but you can make your own with this Friday Fakeaway.
The closest thing to a kebab, this Istanbul inspired delight from Gousto boasts traditional Turkish flavours straight from the grill.
You’ll make Adana lamb kebabs and harissa chicken shish, with a sweet tomato and green pepper bulgur pilaf and sharp lemon dressed salad.
Gousto’s recipe developer Jordan Moore’s Top Tip: “Wet your hands before forming the lamb mince into rectangular patties as it stops the mince from sticking to your hands.”
Turkish Mixed Grill
- 1 Lemon
- 75g Bulgur Wheat
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Tomato
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 160g British Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Thigh Meat (100%)
- 30g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 50g Rocket
- 1 tbsp Ras El Hanout
- 250g British Lamb Mince
- Lamb (100%)
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 Harissa Paste Sachet (20g)
- Cut the lemon in half and combine the harissa paste (can’t handle the heat? Go easy!) with the juice of ½ lemon and a generous pinch of salt in a bowl to make your marinade. Cut the chicken thigh fillets into strips, add them to the harissa marinade and mix well.
- Thread the chicken strips evenly onto each skewer and pop them in the fridge until later
- Meanwhile, combine the lamb mince, ras el hanout, panko breadcrumbs and 1 tbsp water in a bowl. Season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper and mix well.
- Divide the lamb mixture into two balls. Press each ball into a sausage shape, and then flatten into a rectangular patty to make your adana kebabs.
- Pop them in the fridge for later
- Boil a kettle, then deseed the green pepper, scraping the seeds and pith out with a teaspoon and dice.
- Cut the tomato in half, dice half of and cut the remaining tomato into two wedges
- Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a matching lid, with a large knob of butter over a medium heat. Once melted, add the diced pepper and diced tomato with a pinch of salt. Cook for 4-5 min or until everything has softened.
- Meanwhile, dissolve half of the chicken stock cube in 250ml [450ml] boiled water.
- Add the tomato paste to the pan and cook for 1 min, then add the bulgur wheat with the chicken stock and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 min or until the water has absorbed and the bulgur is cooked.
- Meanwhile, add the harissa chicken skewers, adana kebabs and remaining tomato wedges to a baking tray (use tin foil to avoid mess!). Put the tray under the grill for 6-8 mins, turning once halfway through, or until everything’s cooked through and slightly charred
- Squeeze the remaining lemon into a large mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp olive oil, a generous pinch of salt and pepper and mix to combine to make your lemon dressing. Wash and pat the rocket salad dry, then add it to the lemon dressing and give everything a good mix up,
- Serve the harissa chicken skewers and adana kebabs over the bulgur pilaf, with the rocket salad and grilled tomato wedge to the side.