Almost a thousand people have signed a petition begging “heartless” council bosses not to clear away mementos on their babies’ graves.
Aberdeen City Council sent a letter to parents earlier this month giving them until Sunday to remove items such as cuddly toys placed on the surrounding grass.
One parent Rebekah Mackenzie decided to take action and submitted a plea for a change of heart backed by 917 others.
The authority says the mementos pose a health and safety danger to staff cutting the grass and that they go against clearly-publicised site rules.
It plans instead to slightly increase a hard area next to the headstones in order to provide an alternative home.
Miss Mackenzie, who now lives in the Borders, said: “All we ask is to leave things how they are or come to a suitable compromise, meet with the parents and discuss what could be done.
“What they are doing is just heartless.”
Parents are offered free burial spaces within the site which each contain three interment spaces or lairs.
Another parent, Natalie Laing, 28, from Aberdeen said she hadn’t ruled-out moving her daughter to an individual plot.
“I am very disappointed, I go up there all the time to light candles – it helps me deal with it and it also helps my other children.
“We all find comfort in going there and leaving presents at Christmas and birthdays.
“If I had known we were not going to be allowed to place stuff on the grass I would have found a way to buy our own plot – I just didn’t think it would be an issue.”
The petition will be submitted on Monday and then considered by the council’s petitions committee.
Kirsty Cox’s son Aiden is also buried at the cemetery and last night questioned whether they had made the right decision in placing him there.
She said: “I think it’s sad – if they could send a letter telling us what is happening why not send everyone a letter to ask opinions?
“I always thought we had Aiden in the right place surrounded by his angel friends but now I do wonder and wish we made another plan for him.”
Last night Hazlehead councillor Martin Greig said: “I think all the parties involved should be speaking to each other and the petition is a good way to start a conversation with the council.
“It is an exceedingly sensitive matter and the right solution requires careful thought and consideration to all involved.
“The cemetery has to remain a place of remembrance and peace.
In the letter to parents, the council said that any memorabilia not moved would be taken to a memorial garden until May 19 and then “collected and stored” for six weeks before being disposed of.
It plans to meet with some of the parents on Monday.