A man who “lost the plot” and trashed his housing association home causing damage to the tune of £9,000 won’t have to pay for the damage a north court heard yesterday.
Sheriff Andrew Berry, who saw a background report, said it “wasn’t realistic” for Liam Farquhar to foot the bill, given his personal circumstances.
Farquhar previously admitted causing the damage at his home in Burn Street, Wick, on November 28, 2014.
Wick Sheriff Court was told that the 25-year-old “went on the rampage” after becoming upset “for one reason or another” The bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and hallway bore the brunt of his anger as he ripped electric heaters off the wall and punched holes plasterboard and also tore a smoke detector off the ceiling.
Fiscal depute Fraser Matheson said that Farquhar was “extremely frank” when interviewed by the police and readily admitted having caused the damage. He said he had been taking medication for depression at the time.
Farquhar told officers he intended to pay for the damage but that was ruled out yesterday by Sheriff Berry.
Instead he made the accused subject to supervision for eight months to allow him to address the issues in his life.