A major fire that ripped through a Moray business park has almost completely destroyed a linen packing warehouse.
Emergency services were called just before 8pm on Tuesday night to Isla Bank Mills industrial estate after a blaze took hold at the Aberdeen Laundry Services Ltd building.
Six fire units attended as the roof of the warehouse caved-in and it was midnight before crews finally had the fire extinguished.
Aberdeen Laundry Services leased the building from Moray Council who sent their structural investigators to the scene yesterday morning to survey the damage.
They discovered that it was completely fire-ravaged, with even the metal foundations warping as the fire raged at over 150 degrees Celsius.
Asbestos from the roof littered the floor of the warehouse and outside of it as well, as police taped-off the site.
Isla Bank Mills used to play a key part in Keith’s textile industry but in recent years it has been transformed into a business park.
Aberdeen Laundry Services is a company that offers a wide variety of cleaning services including hotel furnishings, oil and gas dry-cleaning and repairs and alterations and have sites across Aberdeenshire and Moray including a launderette in Keith.
A fire service spokeswoman said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 7.49pm on Tuesday, November 13 to reports of a building fire in Keith.
“Operations Control mobilised a number of fire engines and a height vehicle to Isla Bank Mills in Station Road where firefighters extinguished the well-developed fire.
“There were no casualties.”
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The P&J newsletter
Neighbouring buildings sustained minimal smoke damage, with Keith Brewery releasing a statement on social media as locals speculated its home had been the victim of the fire.
“We are all fine and thank you for all of the kind messages. Thankfully the awesome emergency services saved us. Our thoughts are with our neighbours as they have been much less fortunate.”
Moray MSP Richard Lochhead added: “I’m very concerned to hear about the fire in Keith but I’m pleased to hear that there have not been any reported injuries.
“This will be devastating for the businesses and individuals affected and my thoughts are with them at this difficult time.”
Aberdeen Laundry Services declined to comment, saying they had no further information about the blaze.
Moray Council were also approached for comment.