The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) was called to attend reports of a chemical spillage at St John’s Academy, North Inch Community Campus in Perth last night (7 January).
Two appliances from Perth fire station (including a Heavy Rescue Unit) and an appliance from Dunkeld were mobilised by Dundee Operations Control to the incident at 6.15pm.
Crews in breathing apparatus and gas tight suits were deployed following a spill at the premises of what SFRS soon identified as Formalin.
Station Manager Bob Rearie was at the scene and he said: “We arrived to find a container had been knocked over and that a chemical that we established was formalin had produced some fumes.
“We evacuated the premises as a precaution, put a cordon in place and made sure everyone was accounted for.
“Two cleaners had attempted to clean up the spill and were overcome with the fumes. They were checked over at the scene by ambulance personnel but did not require hospital treatment.
“The area has been made safe and a cordon will remain at the premises until the area is cleaned and the materials removed.
“The leak did not affect the environment and there was no risk to members of the public.”