In recent times Celtic have signed young players with plenty of potential with the view to possibly selling them on. It is a philosophy that has worked well in some cases such as Victor Wanyama and Fraser Forster and not so well with some other players, Amido Balde and Miku to name two.
However, the latest player to be linked with a move to Parkhead, a 32-year-old defender, suggests there may have been a slight shift in philosophy. Either that or Parkhead chiefs have run out of young left backs to sign.
In the Championship, Rangers have been linked with a midfielder from Mark Warburton’s former club and despite all the Scott Allan speculation, Alan Stubbs has signed a new deal with Hibs.
Here’s a quick look at today’s top transfer tales…
- Celtic’s search for a new left back has led them to former AC Milan defender Luca Antonini.
The 32-year-old spent five years at Milan before joining Genoa in 2013 and it is believed Genoa are now willing to let the former Italian youth international leave this summer. (Gazzetta dello Sport)
- Rangers boss Mark Warburton could return to his old club to strengthen his squad.
Brentford midfielder Toumani Diagouraga is attracting the interest of Leeds, Huddersfield and Fulham but Warburton is looking to bring the Frenchman to Ibrox. (The Scotsman)
- Kilmarnock could sign Arsenal left-back Elisa Chatzitheodoridis and have taken the defender on trial. (Daily Express)
- New Dundee United signing Rodney Sneidjer rejected the chance to join his brother, Dutch superstar Wesley, at Galatasaray, in favour of a move to the SPFL. (Various)
- Injury-plagued winger Derk Boerrigter is “looking for other options”, according to Ronny Deila, as persistent injury problems weaken his chances of establishing himself in the Hoops first team. (Daily Record)
Latest completed deals
- Craig Gordon has signed a new Celtic contract, keeping him at the club until 2018.
- Hibs manager Alan Stubbs has defied all Scott Allan speculation to sign a new contract at Hibs, the Englishman is now contracted until 2017.
And down south…
- Southampton have signed QPR defender Steven Caulker on a season-long loan.
- Norwich City have completed the signing of Hull City midfielder Robbie Brady.
- Chelsea are looking to sign Galatasaray’s 22-year-old Brazilian defender Alex Telles to replace recently departed Filipe Luis. (The Sun)
- West Ham are lining up a £12m move for 29-year-old Fenerbahce striker Moussa Sow, but the Senegal international is also a target for Sunderland. (Daily Express)
- Paris St-Germain have bid £28.5m for Argentine winger Angel Di Maria but Manchester United’s are believed to be looking for closer to the £59.7m they paid for the 27-year-old last summer. (Guardian)
- Tottenham are considering a move for Manchester United winger Ashley Young, 30. (Daily Mirror)
- Newcastle have seen a £4.8m bid for 20-year-old French striker M’Baye Niang rejected by AC Milan. (Calcio Mercato)
- Tottenham striker Roberto Soldado, 30, could return to La Liga, with Villarreal keen on securing his services. (Espn, via Marca)
- Bournemouth could pay up to £7million for St Etienne winger Max Gradel, 27. (Daily Star)
- Tottenham are interested in signing Everton midfielder James McCarthy, 24, who is keen on a move away from Goodison. (Daily Mirror)
- Emmanuel Adebayor, 31, is undergoing a medical in Birmingham today ahead of joining Aston Villa on a season long loan from Spurs. (Telegraph)
- Villa are also discussing personal terms with former Tottenham, Manchester United and Fulham striker Dimitar Berbatov, 34, who is available on a free. (Daily Express)