Roll up your sleeves and create a classic snack inspired by Subway’s chicken teriyaki sub, made in partnership with Tastemade
But there’s also been another Subway-inspired recipe doing the rounds of late – the sandwich shop’s teriyaki chicken sub.
Adding “learn how to make a Subway UK & Ireland-inspired Chicken Teriyaki Sub” to the top of today’s WFH to-do list.
Posted by Tastemade UK on Friday, 24 April 2020
Here’s a quick guide for making it at home.
Subway-inspired chicken teriyaki sub
(Makes one sub)
For the teriyaki chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 180ml pineapple juice
- 50g brown sugar
- 40ml light soy sauce
- 20ml dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tbsp honey
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- 1 foot-long roll
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- ¼ red pepper, sliced
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- To make the teriyaki sauce, combine all ingredients except the chicken in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together until thoroughly combined and the sugar dissolved. Add the chicken breasts to the sauce and place in the fridge to marinate (30 minutes to 4 hours).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade.
- Place the marinade into a frying pan over a medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature to medium-low. Simmer gently until reduced by half and thick (about 10 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- While the sauce cools, cook the chicken.
- Pat off any excess marinade with a piece of paper towel, and brush with a little vegetable oil.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning regularly, until golden on both sides and cooked through. Brush from time to time with some of the teriyaki sauce. Remove from heat, and rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice, against the grain, into 2cm wide strips and toss with remaining sauce. Use warm, or store in the fridge, in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- To assemble the sub: Cut the bread along the length of the sub, with the knife pointing downwards at an angle. Place the tomato slices, overlapping, along the bottom half of the bread. Follow with the cucumber, pepper and onion.
- Top with chicken and finish with a drizzle of the sauce, salt and finely ground black pepper. Serve immediately.