Sometimes making a mess is exactly what the doctor ordered – and these Eton mess desserts (or snacks) are sure to do the trick.
Nothing screams summer quite like Eton mess and this recipe, which combines strawberries, hazelnuts, coffee and meringue, is one of the best ways to experience the delight.
They can be enjoyed as an after dinner treat or even an afternoon snack, though we won’t tell if you want to eat them as soon as you get up in the morning.
For a nut-free alternative to this recipe, try swapping the hazelnuts for crushed digestive biscuits for extra yumminess.
If Eton mess doesn’t whet your appetite, or you want more ideas for other desserts or sweet treats, check out our other recipes: white chocolate and strawberry mousse, salted chocolate squash tart, curd cake with caramelised apples or this delicious banana and raspberry nut loaf.
Coffee and hazelnut Eton mess
- 400g strawberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 50g hazelnuts
- 330ml Arctic Iced Coffee Latte (or any iced coffee)
- 300ml double cream
- 4 ready-made meringue nests
- Hull and chop the strawberries, put them in a bowl, sprinkle with sugar and set aside to macerate.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan, allow to cool then roughly chop.
In a large bowl whisk the cream to firm peaks. Slowly add half of the coffee while you continue whisking.
- Roughly crush the meringues and stir briefly into the cream. Swirl through half of the strawberries and half of the hazelnuts.
- To construct the Eton mess, put a spoonful of strawberries into the bottom of four glasses, follow with some of the meringue mixture, a drizzle of the remaining coffee and then some hazelnuts.
- Repeat these layers until the ingredients are used up. Chill until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of arcticicedcoffee.co.uk
Read more in this series…