Hygiene officers had to be called in to dispose of drug syringes, which were found just feet from where north east children attend school and go swimming.
Health and safety
Two of the north-east’s most respected offshore safety experts have been announced as panellists at The Press and Journal’s next Business Briefing.
Housekeeping staff at an Aberdeen hotel have been threatened with dismissal if they refuse to work due to leaking sewage.
North-east farming company fined £40,000 for health and safety failures after worker left severely injured following fall
A north-east farming company has been fined £40,000 for breaches of health and safety legislation which led to an employee being hospitalised after he fell while installing an electricity cable.
A north-east town faces being left without Christmas illuminations after Scrooge council bosses claimed they could be a danger to the public.
A new initiative has been made to cut farm deaths in Scotland.
Parents at an Aberdeenshire primary school kept their children at home yesterday amid concerns for their safety during ongoing building works.
An award-winning Indian restaurant in Aberdeen has been fined £1,320 for failing to provide staff with hygiene training and a lack of “adequate” pest control procedures.
Scotland’s largest machinery ring has launched a drive to improve health and safety on farms and crofts across the country.
Inverness taxi drivers have threatened strike action after joining ranks with a national trade union - claiming it aims to use its “clout” to take on the “arrogance and contempt” of Highland Council.
Major recall over fears frozen veg on sale at Sainsbury’s, Lidl, Aldi and Tesco could be contaminated with deadly Listeria
A major recall of 43 frozen vegetable products – including some on sale at Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and Sainsbury’s – has been issued over fears they may contain a deadly bacteria.
Steve Rae escaped with his life from the burning Piper Alpha rig because he ignored the rules – and has spent the last 30 years improving safety systems as a result.
One of the key questions posed repeatedly in the decades since the Piper Alpha disaster is: could it happen again? The head of a leading safety group and a senior trade unionist give their verdicts.
Piecing together precisely what happened, why it happened and how to prevent another Piper Alpha happening again took Lord Cullen two years and 400 pages. The impact can be seen across the industry today and his verdict on the present state of offshore safety continues to hold great weight.
North-east fish suppliers vow to appeal health and safety bosses who slapped them with official warning over noise
A north-east seafood supplier has vowed to challenge health and safety bosses who slapped them with an official warning over noise.
New research from Aberdeen University has confirmed what many farmers already know - that they take risks because they put financial implications ahead of their personal safety.
A council worker on a ride-on mower fell into the River Lossie in just one of dozens of work-place accidents recorded last year.
Farmers have been urged to properly assess safety risks in their businesses following two incidents south of the border.
Farmers and crofters have been reminded to put safe working practices in place for all their staff following an incident on a farm south of the border.
The NHS has paid out almost £200,000 in compensation to north-east staff members injured at work over the last four years.
The electricity industry has called for safer working on farms in light of the fact more than 1,000 incidents with overhead power lines were reported on UK farms in the past five years.
A new campaign has launched urging farmers and crofters to assess the risk involved in everyday farming tasks.
Energy giant Shell has been ordered to improve its safety procedures at the St Fergus plant near Peterhead.
Two vessels were damaged following a “low energy collision” in the North Sea. The UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said the incident involved the Foinaven FPSO and an offshore supply vessel. The crash happened on August 22 during “cargo operations”. Read more on Energy Voice here.
Two firms have been fined a combined £110,000 after an engineer was crushed by heavy machinery and left paralysed from the waist down.
Transport chiefs to hold crunch talks with AWPR bosses after spate of high-profile accidents at the development
Bypass bosses are being summoned for crunch talks with Transport Scotland to explain a spate of high-profile accidents at the development.
A Scottish dairy farmer has given an account of a workplace accident to act as a warning to fellow farmers.
Farmers and crofters have been reminded of their duty to maintain machinery and vehicles.
A shortbread factory worker has been seriously injured after trapping his arm in a piece of machinery.
Farmers have been reminded of the dangers associated with grain storage following the death of a worker on a farm south of the border.
We reveal the findings of inspectors after they visited three kitchens in the islands.
A Moray food giant has been fined £70,000 after a worker's hand was mutilated in a pie machine. At Elgin Sheriff Court yesterday, Baxters Food Group admitted that serious health and safety failings had caused the accident. The incident happened at the company's Fochabers factory last March, in a unit where Frey Bentos pies and puddings are produced. Quality control operator James Vann-Allen was attempting to clear a blockage in equipment which seals the lids onto their packaging when the machine was switched on and his right hand became trapped. Engineering staff had to dismantle the apparatus to free Mr Vann-Allen from it. The 28-year-old suffered fractured bones and a puncture wound to the back of his hand, and has been left with two flattened knuckles. A Baxters lawyer insisted the organisation takes the welfare of its workforce "extremely seriously", and had since enacted sweeping changes to prevent employees coming to harm. A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation laid bare the circumstances behind the horrific accident. The court heard that an alarm system fitted to the machine, which sounds three seconds before it is about to spring into life or when a fault occurs, had not been working for months prior to the incident. When lids became jammed on on March 13, 2015, Mr Van-Allen was called to clear the blockage. However, colleague Maria Toromanova arrived to carry out checks and switched the machine on, trapping Mr Van-Allen's hand between pieces of hardware. The employee of five years was off work until May, and only resumed his normal duties last June. Mr Van-Allen says he can no longer grip a pen or hold a grocery bag for longer than five minutes without suffering pain. Doctors say he may require an operation later in life, but that it is not possible to improve the appearance of his wounded hand. A HSE spokeswoman said: "This was a foreseeable incident, and there were several measures which could have been put in place to prevent it. "Unsafe working practices had been in place since the machine was introduced in 2012. "In March, 2014, HSE served Baxters with an improvement notice and had the firm implemented the requirements, we are of the opinion this incident would not have happened." Baxters admitted failing to ensure the health and safety at work of Mr Vann-Allen between September 1, 2013, and March 13, 2015. The firm accepted that it had failed to make a sufficient assessment of the risks to health and safety on the line in question, and to provide the information and training necessary to ensure the safety of employees. The massive fine was the firm's second in less than a year. Baxters was hit with a £60,000 penalty last October after a worker had to have his left foot amputated on-site when it became caught in steam vegetable peeling machine in January 2014. Jodie Cormack's right foot later was partially amputated following a number of operations and the insertion of a metal plate and screws. Baxters' defence agent, Malcolm Gunneyon, said that the family firm launched an "action plan" to improve site safety less than a week after Mr Van-Allen's injury, which had tightened up practices across the board. Sheriff Olga Pasportnikov said she was "heartened" by the moves Baxters had taken to reduce the chances of further accidents, but condemned bosses for refusing to implement changes when problems were brought to light. She said: "A significant factor here is failure to implement changes after being notified of contraventions. "It is likely that this accident would not have occurred if that had happened."