Caley Thistle manager John Robertson is closing in on his first signing of the January transfer window after agreeing terms with a left sided player.
Robertson is keen to bolster his squad next month, having spoken of his frustration at being left with only 13 available first team players for last weekend’s 1-1 draw at home to Dundee United. The Caley Jags boss will have the same squad at his disposal for tomorrow’s trip to Morton, with skipper Carl Tremarco and midfielder Angus Beith still sidelined.
Having started his recruitment drive, Robertson is confident he has secured his first new addition in the form of a versatile left sided replacement for Riccardo Calder, who was sacked last month after being found guilty of assaulting a woman before subsequently being jailed for nine months.
The new arrival will not be able to feature until the home match against Queen of the South on January 5 however, having been contracted to an overseas club beyond the summer transfer deadline on August 31.
Robertson said: “We are pretty close to signing someone who can play in the positions Riccardo Calder played in, anywhere down the left hand side. He can play at full back, midfield or in a wide left attacking position.
“That will help us and give us another body. With a small squad you need versatility. This lad can bring it and he’s got decent pedigree for the Championship.
“He’s a free agent, who was playing abroad and is now available. We have verbally agreed terms, but we are just waiting on him signing on the dotted line.
“He was in contract abroad in between the transfer windows, so we can’t play him until January 1.”
Caley Thistle have taken disciplinary action after footage of a sectarian slur on the team bus emerged online last weekend.
Inverness chairman Graham Rae confirmed earlier this week the club had opened an investigation after the video appeared to expose an anti-Catholic comment being made while players sung whilst on the team bus. The video, which was shared through the Instagram account of striker Nathan Austin, was promptly taken down.
Caley Jags have now released a statement confirming they have acted on the matter.
The statement said: “On Saturday, footage was shared on social media, showing conduct unbefitting of Inverness Caledonian Thistle.
“The club takes this matter incredibly seriously.
“Following a full investigation into these events, the club has taken appropriate disciplinary action and reminded the team of their responsibilities to supporters, the community and the authorities.”