The Scottish Conservatives have called for a confidential hotline to be set up for potential victims of ex-finance secretary Derek Mackay.
The Renfrewshire North and West MSP resigned as finance minister after it emerged he sent hundreds of messages to a 16-year-old old boy on social media.
Friday’s Daily Record also revealed how he spent four years pursuing a married man over social media, even asking for “naughty pics”.
The SNP has withdrawn the whip from Mr Mackay pending an investigation but the 42-year-old is facing growing calls to quit as an MSP altogether.
Now Conservative interim leader Jackson Carlaw has said the Scottish Government has a duty to set up a helpline in case there are more victims of harassment waiting to come forward as “a pattern of behaviour is begging to emerge”.
Mr Carlaw said: “Nicola Sturgeon, when asked yesterday in the Scottish Parliament if she had sought assurances from Derek Mackay that the story reported was an isolated incident, replied merely that she was unaware of any other potential victims.
“It is now clear that no such assurances were sought from Mr Mackay by the First Minister, given there are other people coming forward with allegations arising from his previous and additional role as SNP business convener.
“It is also now being reported that he was banned from drinking at party conferences which again suggests knowledge of potentially inappropriate behaviour.”
Speaking to Good Morning Scotland on Friday, Deputy First Minister John Swinney denied any concerns about Mr Mackay’s drinking had been raised and said he had been “stunned” by the revelations that emerged on Wednesday night.
But Mr Carlaw said: “From the start, it seems the SNP government has been more interested in protecting its own reputation than in the welfare of potential and actual victims.
“A pattern of behaviour is now beginning to emerge, and it’s vital the SNP leadership – instead of spinning – acts to establish a complete picture.
“The Scottish Government and the SNP should have already established a confidential hotline for potential victims to contact to report concerns and to receive appropriate support.
“This is action the Scottish Parliament took without delay in response to a previous incident.
“There has been a collective failure of leadership both from the First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and the current SNP business convener Kirsten Oswald. Both now need to respond and act with far greater urgency and understanding.”
The Scottish Government has been asked to comment.