An investigation has been launched after two men were found dead in a house in a quiet Deeside street.
Police were called to the property in Swann Place in Ballater on Friday and discovered the bodies of two men, aged 44 and 28.
It is understood the pair, named locally only as Chris and Kurtis, may have lain undiscovered for a number of days.
Yesterday, residents spoke of their “shock” as officers descended on the street, only yards away from the Old Royal Station and the historic centre of the village.
Police, who remained at the scene throughout the weekend, said they were treating the deaths as “unexplained”.
Neighbours reported the older man, Chris, had lived in the street for a number of years.
But several neighbours said he had been a private person, who kept to himself.
A man living across the road, who did not want to be named, said: “It was shocking to see all the police on Friday night as I was coming home.
“There were three marked police cars and a number of others parked outside the house.
“At the time I was not sure what was going on but it’s very sad to hear now.
“Chris must have lived there for nearly 10 years as I remember him coming over to see my dad when I was quite young.”
Two friends, who were walking by the property yesterday afternoon, declined to comment out of respect to the families involved.
Tributes, posted online, read: “RIP Chris and Kurtis.”
Another, from a woman living a few doors round the cul-de-sac, said: “RIP Chris, a lovely guy and neighbour, who will be missed.”
Police confirmed a post-mortem would be carried out to ascertain the “exact cause” of their deaths.
The investigation is ongoing.
A spokesman said: “On Friday afternoon the bodies of two men, aged 44 and 28 years, were discovered within a house in Swann Place, Ballater.
“A post-mortem will take place to establish the exact cause of their death which at this time police are treating as unexplained.
“Inquiries are continuing. A report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.”
Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside councillor Peter Argyle said: “The community is completely shocked by what has happened.
“As far as I know nothing like this has ever happened in the village before, so we are waiting to see what the police find out.
“Officers have released limited detail and that is quite right while they are working to find out what happened.
“But there is no doubt the community is in shock.”