A man appeared in court yesterday in connection with a road collision where a four-year-old boy was seriously injured.
John Macdonald appeared in private at Inverness Sheriff Court in connection with the incident on Tuesday evening in the city.
The 33-year-old, from Inverness, was represented by lawyer Aileen Macinnes and made no plea.
He was committed for further examination and released on bail by Sheriff David Sutherland.
When Macdonald emerged from the cells at Inverness Castle yesterday, he lit a cigarette and walked free until his next court appearance, which should be within eight days.
He faced charges of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, failing to stop after an accident and failing to report it.
The four-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, suffered serious injuries to his head, pelvis and leg in the collision, which happened at around 7.45pm.
The little boy, who had been playing with friends, was transferred on Wednesday from Raigmore Hospital to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary for treatment.
But last night a family source said that the youngster was doing “really well” and that, pending a doctor’s assessment, he could be taken back to Raigmore Hospital today.
A Go Fund Me donation page has also been set up to help the boy and his family. As of 6pm last night £120 had been raised.
An ambulance took 21 minutes to arrive at the scene and the Scottish Ambulance Service admitted they “did not respond as quickly as we would have liked.”
A spokesman explained that there were other “immediately life-threatening conditions” which took priority.
However medical staff told his mother that he was “lucky to be alive.” His father was also at his bedside.
Police say inquiries are ongoing and anybody who has information but has not yet made contact with Police should call 101.
Alternatively call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 to provide anonymous information.