Motherwell winger Chris Cadden hopes he can take his career to a new level after landing his first Scotland call-up.
The 21-year-old has been added to Alex McLeish’s Scotland squad for the end-of-season friendlies with Peru and Mexico.
He has been given his chance on the tour following Wednesday’s withdrawals of midfielder pair Matt Ritchie and Ryan Fraser and he has vowed to make the most of the opportunity.
He said: “I’m speechless. It’s a huge honour for me and my family. I told my mum and dad and they got quite emotional.
“It has come out of the blue but I’m delighted and honoured. I can’t wait. It’s different-level stuff.
“It will be good to challenge myself against Peru and Mexico, two good teams who are going to the World Cup.
“Hopefully I can get some game-time. It will be an experience I’m sure I’ll learn from.”
Cadden, who has seven under-21 caps, follows Hearts defender John Souttar and St Mirren ace Lewis Morgan into the full squad after impressing for Scot Gemmill’s youth team.
He has been an impressive performer for Stephen Robinson’s Well side and will hope to cap off another fine season by leading the Lanarkshire club to Scottish Cup glory in tomorrow’s final with Celtic. And the Fir Park boss is hoping the news of his call-up will provide the spark his team needs to shoot down Brendan Rodgers’ treble-chasers.
“I’m absolutely delighted for him,” said Robinson. “Chris is a super boy. He’s Motherwell through and though and this is no surprise he’s been called up.
“Motherwell are now starting to produce international footballers with Trevor Carson in for Northern Ireland and Allan Campbell into the under-21s, possible Cedric Kipre (with France under-21s).”
Cadden has made 113 appearances for the Steelmen since making his debut in 2014 and now becomes the first Motherwell player to receive a Scotland call-up since Steven Hammell in 2013.
McLeish’s squad face Peru in Lima on May 29 before travelling to Mexico City for the June 2 clash with the Mexicans.
Ritchie, Fraser and Wolves defender Barry Douglas were all named in McLeish’s original 24-man squad but have since withdrawn through injury.
Souttar may also have to miss the trip with a hamstring injury, while Celtic stars Craig Gordon, Kieran Tierney, Callum McGregor, James Forrest and Leigh Griffiths are among a number of regulars who have been left out.
The only other additional call-up so far has been Kilmarnock right-back Stephen O’Donnell.