Work is under way to install Aberdeen’s Christmas lights on Union Street.
The countdown to Christmas is well and truly on, with plenty of festive fun lined up for the coming weeks.
On November 17, the Castlegate Christmas tree – a gift each year from twin city Stravangar – will be switched on. There will be readings and carols.
And on November 20, the popular lights switch-on parade will return for the first time since 2019. Pipers, choirs, charities and floats carrying lots of festive characters will form a procession from Holburn Street to Castlegate.
Aberdeen Christmas Village returns
This year, plans have also been submitted for the Aberdeen Christmas Village to be set up in the civic space near Marischal College.
Featuring a “unique” line-up each weekend in the lead up to Christmas, it will include arts, crafts, clothing, jewellery and homeware, along with gourmet food and drink.
Running from November 17 to December 24, it will also include fairground rides and an open air ice rink.
Broad Street has been closed while the village is set up.
Dates for the upcoming festivities are as follows:
- Thursday November 17: Christmas tree lights switch on
- Thursday November 17 to Saturday December 24: Aberdeen Christmas Village
- Sunday November 20: Christmas lights switch-on parade
- Monday November 28 to Thursday January 5: Nativity Scene starting with a blessing event on November 28
- Thursday December 1 to Saturday December 24: Hunt for the Lost Toys Christmas Sculpture Trail
- Saturday December 17: Carol Concert
- Saturday December 31: Hogmanay
To find out more information and follow all announcements, visit Aberdeen City’s website.