A family lost one of their dogs and have been left homeless after a devastating early morning fire in Ross-shire yesterday.
The mid-terraced property in Munro Crescent in Milton was engulfed in flames at 5.20am yesterday morning, killing one dog and leaving another in a “poorly” state.
A vet was at the scene to resuscitate the Collie cross breed and administer steroid injections.
Neighbours of the unnamed family were also evacuated, with one being left homeless as a result of smoke damage.
A local resident and close family friend said: “They have lost everything. They lost one of their dogs. It’s devastating.
“The next-door neighbour can’t live in his house because of the smoke damage.”
Three appliances from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were dispatched to the scene – two from Invergordon and one from Tain.
A spokesman said: “Upon arrival, the fire was already well developed within the ground floor of the dwelling, and neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution by fire crews.
“There were no casualties and all persons were accounted for, however sadly one dog died.
“Firefighters extinguished the fire and left at 6.59am after ensuring the area was made safe.”
The tight-knit community have since been rallying round to support the family supplying fresh clothes and essentials.
The family friend added: “The fire service were fantastic, they couldn’t do enough to help. Albyn Housing are doing everything they can to find them a property in the village. They need to stay in the village; it’s quite tough going at the moment.
“The village have been rallying round to help. The people in the village have been bringing over bags of clothes; we have got a lot of stuff. We don’t know if there is going to be anything that is or can be salvaged.”