A north-east nursery is investigating after a worker was charged with assaulting children as young as two.
The managers of the privately-run nursery in Fraserburgh have sent a letter to parents assuring them the alleged incident was a one-off.
On Monday, the Press and Journal revealed India Mitchell, 20, had been charged by police after an investigation was launched into the treatment of youngsters she was supervising.
Now the nursery has resumed its own internal investigation into the allegations, after halting it pending the police inquiry.
In the letter, the nursery manager said: “We are devastated for everyone that this has occurred and we understand how unsettling this is. The safety and wellbeing of the children is always our first priority.”
She added: “We’d also like to thank the many parents and guardians who have sent and spoken messages of support. We assure you all of the highest standards of care and that the children will not be affected by this.”
Concerned parents previously contacted the authorities over fears their children had been mistreated at the facility.
A report has since been sent to the Crown Office alleging Mitchell carried out “assaults” on children aged between two and five who attended the nursery.
The police, Care Inspectorate and Aberdeenshire Council have all confirmed they are involved in an investigation.
The parents of one child who attended the nursery, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said: “We are saddened to hear about the reports at such a popular Fraserburgh nursery.
“We trust nurseries with our most precious little people so it is frightening to hear about these allegations.”
Another has said she has removed her child from the nursery.
A spokesman for the Care Inspectorate said they are in the process of inspecting the nursery and will publish a report “in due course”.
The nursery declined to comment while the investigation is continuing.