There’s nothing quite like a good transfer story to get the anticipation going – and thankfully, today we have a lots of those.
Huge money moves, big name transfers and a brand new super-rich Premier League club owner.
Here are today’s top stories…
- Scott Sinclair remains the top target for Brendan Rodgers’ Celtic side this summer – and Aston Villa have softened on the prospect of him leaving. (Various)
- Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes accused Bulgarian referee Nikola Popov of killing Aberdeen’s Europa League dream. (Sun)
- Joey Barton could miss the Betfred League Cup quarter final should Rangers make it, as he is selling tickets to an event in London to publicise his new book ‘No Nonsense’. (Sun)
- However, it’s not all good news as the Villains look set to scupper Rodgers’ move for Manchester United youngster Paddy McNair. (Various)
- Celtic midfielder Patrick Roberts is set to be out of action for three weeks after limping out of the 2-1 win over Astana on Wednesday.(Daily Express)
- Rangers have signed defender David Bates on loan from Raith Rovers with attacking midfielder Jordan Thompson heading in the other direction.
- Chelsea and England U19 player Tammy Abraham has joined Bristol City on a season-long loan.
- Swansea’s Scottish youngster Adam King has joined Southend on loan until the end of the season.
- Scott Allan has completed his loan move to Rotherham.
- Michael Cain has joined Blackpool on loan from parent club Liverpool.
- Defence Force striker Richard Roy has signed a six-month deal with Hamilton Accies, with the option to extend the deal.
South of the Border
- Everton have made an approach for Wolfsburg’s Germany winger Julian Draxler, who also interests Arsenal. The 22-year-old has a £63m release clause. (Independent)
- Paul Pogba’s world-record transfer from Juventus to Manchester United is complete, and will be announced when the 23-year-old France midfielder returns from holiday. (Manchester Evening News)
- Chelsea are watching Brazil’s Thiago Maia, 19, during the Olympics, as they consider making a £15m bid to take him from Santos. (Daily Mirror)
- Manchester City are close to completing a £4.75m deal for 19-year-old Colombia international winger Marlos Moreno from Atletico Nacional. (Guardian)
- Roma are interested in reported Liverpool target and former Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen, 30, who plays for Barcelona. (Gazzetta dello Sport)
- Aston Villa are prepared to allow 33-year-old centre-back Joleon Lescott to leave the club for free, with Leeds interested. (Telegraph)
West Brom have been sold. Perhaps the biggest done deal of the entire day.
Chairman Jeremy Peace has agreed to sell West Bromwich Albion Holdings, the Club’s parent company, to a Chinese investment group headed by Guochuan Lai.
The 42-year-old entrepreneur is the controlling shareholder in Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development Limited which will acquire Albion and usher in an exciting new phase of the Club’s development, subject to approval of the deal by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Premier League.