A north-east campaign group has urged the Scottish Government not to “squander” the chance to make the north-east greener after lockdown.
The A96 Action group, made up of north-east residents, was formed in response to Transport Scotland’s long-held plans to dual the A96 near Inverurie.
For two years they have fought against the proposals on financial and environmental grounds, and in particularly fear that farmland across Daviot, Barra, Keithhall, Kinmuck and Balbithan could be lost.
Transport Scotland’s final plans for the proposed dualling route will be presented later this year, delayed in part due to the sheer volume of feedback they received since drop-in sessions this time last year.
— A96_Action (@A96Action) September 21, 2019
Last night, chairwoman of A96 Action group, Lorna Anderson, said: “The A96 should not be fully dualled between Aberdeen and Inverness. There is simply no justification.
“Of course people want to see the road upgraded, safety improved and dualling where necessary, but not at any cost.
“Scotland has been presented with a once-in-many-generations opportunity to exit Covid-19 as a greener, fairer and inclusive society.
“Let’s not squander the moment on outdated, wasteful and unnecessary infrastructure where the only people to benefit are road designers and contractors.”
A Transport Scotland spokeswoman said: “Our consultants are continuing the design work for the A96 Dualling East of Huntly to Aberdeen scheme.
“However, given the current Covid-19 pandemic, only work that can be undertaken in full alignment with the government’s physical distancing measures is being carried out at this time as we look to identify a preferred route option.”