The winners of the 2019 Elevator Awards were announced last night in a celebration of entrepreneurial achievements and exceptional performance across the north-east.
Ten companies and individuals were celebrated in front of an audience of 400 people, with categories covering business success, contributions to the region’s economy and innovative mindset.
James Barrack, managing director at Knight Property Group and chairman of Chess Group, was named as this year’s entrepreneur of the year.
The property developer has been and continues to be hugely influential in the commercial property sector, successfully growing the group for more than 21 years.
His community-driven initiatives and longstanding support of the Prince’s Trust were also praised by industry peers.
The highly anticipated lifetime achievement accolade went to Stewart Milne after dedicating four decades to shaping and influencing the UK construction industry.
A leading figure in Aberdeen, Mr Milne was recognised for his “grit and passion” which led him to build the largest timber frame manufacturer in the UK.
Other winners included SEM Energy, which collected the business success under three years accolade, while Texo Group was named most promising new business.
Individually, Ben Leonard of Beast Gear received the emerging entrepreneur of the year award and Jonathan Smith was named inspirational mentor of the year.
Further companies completing the list of winners included 20/20 Project Management, the Wee Hemp Company, Ecosse IP and Sport Aberdeen.
Elevator chief executive Gary McEwan said: “The entrepreneurial talent in the north-east is remarkable.
“As ever, the undeniably challenging judging process illustrates the quality of entries; I never cease to be impressed by our region’s outstanding talent.”
On his accolade, Mr Milne said: “I’m delighted and consider it a great honour to receive Elevator’s 2019 lifetime achievement award.”
The 2019 Elevator winners:
- Entrepreneur of the year, sponsored by RBS – James Barrack
- Lifetime achievement award, sponsored by RBS – Stewart Milne
- Most promising new business, sponsored by Business Gateway – Texo Group
- Business success under three years, sponsored by Aberdein Considine – SEM Energy
- Business success over three years, sponsored by RBS – 20/20 Project Management
- Innovation award, sponsored by Murgitroyd – Ecosse IP
- Spirit of enterprise, sponsored by the Prince’s Trust – the Wee Hemp Company
- Enterprising communities, sponsored by Aberdeenshire Council – Sport Aberdeen
- Emerging entrepreneur of the year, sponsored by Aberdeen University – Ben Leonard
- Inspirational mentor of the year, sponsored by TechX at the Oil and Gas Technology Centre – Jonathan Smith