Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner. Facebook Messenger An icon of the facebook messenger app logo. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Facebook Messenger An icon of the Twitter app logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. WhatsApp Messenger An icon of the Whatsapp messenger app logo. Email An icon of an mail envelope. Copy link A decentered black square over a white square.

Brechin leave it late against Forres; Inverurie Locos beat Banks o’ Dee in thriller; Clach back to winning ways

Grady McGrath. Image: SNS.
Grady McGrath. Image: SNS.

A highly contentious penalty a minute from time clinched victory for Brechin City over Forres Mechanics at Glebe Park and moved City back to the top of the Breedon Highland League table.

The Can Cans grabbed the lead after 21 minutes when Jack Grant picked up the ball at the edge of the Brechin box and unleashed a blistering right-foot drive into the bottom corner of the net.

City fought back and levelled in the 67th minute when Marc Scott poked the ball home following a goalmouth scramble.

City had the bulk of pressure thereafter but were finding it difficult to prise open a dogged and determined visitors defence with a share of the spoils looking the likely outcome.

But with a minute of the match remaining City were awarded a penalty after Forres keeper Stuart Knight was penalised for a foul on Grady McGrath.

Referee Robin Taylor immediately pointed to the spot, a decision which incensed the Forres players with Dale Wood being shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language and both managers also being shown yellow cards following a touchline altercation.

McGrath then stepped up to blast the spot-kick high into the top corner of the net to clinch victory for his side and send them back to the top of the table.

Brechin boss Andy Kirk said: “One thing about this group of players is they never give up and they got their reward.

“Sometimes you just have to be patient but getting three points is the most important thing.

“Hats off to Forres, they were very well organised and made things very difficult for us.

As regards the penalty award, Kirk was adamant that it was a correct decision.

“The referee and assistant were well placed and I have no doubt that it was a penalty,” he said.

Forres counterpart Steven MacDonald took a different view of the decision and felt the red card shown to his player was also incorrect.

“Stuart Knight is a really honest lad and he is adamant that McGrath took a dive for the penalty,” he said.

“The referee also sent Dale Wood off for abusive language which he said was directed towards him but Dale is insistent that his comments were made to McGrath for diving.

“The players are completely gutted but I am very proud of the way they performed.”

Banks o’ Dee 3-4 Inverurie Locos

Inverurie Locos bounced back from their Aberdeenshire Shield quarter-final loss against Huntly in style with a 4-3 win against Banks o’ Dee at Spain Park.

The result leaves Bank o’ Dee bottom of the Highland League table on two points following their 24-point deduction due to player registration issues.

Locos boss Richard Hastings said: “It was a very good performance.

“I was particularly impressed by our workrate, control of the ball and being effective on the ball.

“We scored some good goals. The boys were delighted and we must keep building on that.”

After a very strong start by Locos it was Dee who took the lead in 22 minutes through former Locos forward Neil Gauld.

Robert Ward scored the fourth for Locos. Image: Wullie Marr/ DC Thomson.

The striker was brought down in the penalty area and he beat his close friend Andy Reid from the spot with the Locos stopper guessing right but unable to keep the ball out.

The visitors equalised eight minutes later when Garry Wood headed home a Logan Johnstone cross.

Jamie Michie gave Locos the lead after 41 minutes when he waltzed through the home defence before firing beyond Ross Salmon.

A mistake by Salmon allowed Locos to grab a third on the stroke of half-time with Lloyd Robertson laying the ball off for Wood to drive home number three.

Dee had the wind advantage after half time but a fourth goal came for Locos in 70 minutes when Robert Ward volleyed confidently into the corner of the net.

The home side, to their credit, pushed for a way back into the game with Rob Armstrong cutting the ball back for Lachie MacLeod to tap home five minutes later.

Dee substitute Hamish MacLeod fired a left-footed shot from the edge of the area beyond Reid to make the final score 4-3 to Locos.

Banks o’ Dee boss Jamie Watt said: “We were playing into a very strong wind which was always going to be tough.

“The goals we conceded were due to amateurish defending and we weren’t winning 50-50 balls in the middle of the park.

“If we’d gone in only one behind at the break it wouldn’t have been so bad with the wind at our backs but at this level you get punished for schoolboy defending.”

Clach 2-0 Huntly

Clachnacuddin ended a four game winless streak with a 2-0 win against Huntly.

Manager Jordan Macdonald was delighted to see his tactical changes paying off.

He said: “We changed it up because we needed to help the young players.

“Confidence had been very low and I thought that our players were terrific, Blair Lawrie came in for his first start since August and he was excellent as was my back four.

“I have to give a special mention to my goalkeeper Dawid (Sienkowski) who was thrown in late on.”

James Anderson took his tally for the season to nine goals with Macdonald pleased to see the forward back on the scoresheet.

He added: “That’s nine already this season. He beats himself up and takes it upon himself that every chance we miss is his fault.

“He’s a terrific young centre forward and what he doesn’t get the credit for is his hold-up play and with the way we like to play it’s great for us to have him.”

Clach were forced into a change less than 20 minutes before kick-off with goalkeeper Daniel Rae pulling up injured in the warm-up.

With Martin Mackinnon already missing that meant a debut for 18-year-old Dawid Sienkowski.

The hosts were awarded a penalty after 18 minutes when Huntly keeper Fraser Hobday brought down Robbie Thompson. Hobday received a caution from referee Gordon Morrison before James Anderson sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

Huntly came close to equalising after 27 minutes when Cameron Blacklock floated in a free kick to Andrew Hunter who headed off the post.

Three minutes later, Ross Still picked out Callum Lamb with a cross from the left his header was kept out by Sienkowski at the near post.

Clach doubled their lead two minutes after the break with James Anderson converting from close range after the visiting defence failed to deal with a ball into the box.

Huntly manager Allan Hale said: “We spent 15 minutes talking about things at half-time and the players clearly didn’t listen. It was one of those days where we haven’t carried out the game plan.

“I thought Clach were excellent in term of their spirit and togetherness and their desire to win the game that outmatched us.”